Tuesday, June 05, 2012

Will Madonna Ever Grow Up?

People tell me that Madonna is talented.  That she spawned a number of female acts created in her image (Christina Aguillera, Britney Spears, etc.) but I beg to differ. 

True, she has left an indelible mark on pop music but it wasn't by crafting her singing or dancing skills.  Madonna is a master at "pushing buttons".  Yes, I said it.  I think she has about as much musical talent as a singer or dancer as I do.  Meaning NONE.  

I DO think that this aging pop sensation has made a career of pushing the envelope until it nearly falls off the table.  Think about it; she has taken on the Catholic church in one of her videos, had videographers tape her lying on her mother's grave (for a private moment???).  Hey, those are her issues and if she wants to make a statement that is controversial regarding religion or her mother, be my guest.  This is America, after all.

However, while she was in Israel, I think she crossed the line.  As a video backdrop to her "musical" performance, she slams a right wing politician by showing a photo with a swastika on her forehead.  Don't get me wrong; I am a liberal Democrat and always will be.  But, aligning a right wing politician with the Nazi movement is downright dangerous.  

I am opposed to every idea a Conservative politician offers.  So let me make this clear, aligning a conservative with a Nazi is implying that the conservative is ready to follow a maniacal leader at any cost and if that includes savagely murdering and torturing innocent people in order to do it, so be it.  A young 20 something pop star not knowing her history could possibly be forgiven for such a reckless statement, but Madonna is over 50 years old.  Old enough to know better.

World War II wasn't that long ago.  Are we destined to repeat those events again?  Hopefully not, but that will depend on whether people like Madonna will ever grow up.  

More Musings Later-

No comments: