Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Otalia!

For those of you who don't watch Guiding Light the soap opera, I give you permission to skip this post. Although, you might want to find out what "Otalia" is!

For the first time in fictional Springfield, there is a plotline where 2 women on the show are discovering that they are in love with each other. Here's the kicker; they aren't really gay because this is the first experience and they don't understand it as they have always been with men. In real life, both women are straight, married and have children. Yet, on screen, they are acting their butts off!


In a day and age where so much homophobia runs rampant, it is truly a breath of fresh air to watch 2 successful, intelligent women play the role with such conviction and honesty. I especially appreciate the fact that their characters are floored about what is happening, but they can't deny what they feel. One woman's name is "Olivia" and the other is "Natalia". Hence, combining them for "Otalia."


I HATE the fact that Guiding Light is going off the air...I'm hoping they get picked up by some other network as I don't want to see the plot die. Oh well, for a soap cancellation, I guess it is fitting to see it end....I'm so depressed.

Yes, still on steroids.

More Musings Later-

No comments: