Monday, April 13, 2009

The New York Housewives vs. Office Politics

I'm hooked. I watched a marathon of "The New York Housewives" on Bravo a couple of Sundays ago and thought to myself...WOW, this is the ultimate in office politics. Can I get an Amen?

We've all worked with these personalities before, haven't we? Sure, you know...the Countess, the elitest that holds her nose in the air and then there are the others that gossip and spread rumors (true or untrue is beside the point) about their "friends". Jeez, it's enough to turn your stomach, but, like watching a train wreck, people can't stop watching. Me included.

The New York Housewives Bitchfest


With all the bitchiness and cat fights going on, my mind drifted to when I worked in an office and experienced the same fights, the mwah, mwah kisses on either side of the face while your co worker is pulling the dagger from your back. I hated it. No, I despised it. The co-worker that behaved in this manner toward me hurt me so badly that when this person left the company, it caused me to be rude and mistrusting of the next 2 co-workers taking their place.


I'll be the first to tell you that I don't take hints very well. No amount of hinting, name dropping or other vague forms of communication will work with me. You have to shoot straight from the hip as they say. Well, this lack of "picking up on things" was a real Achillies heel for me. I thought I had a good friend, and she knew I didn't. So, after the damage was done, the rumors were spread and my working environment was hell for years after, I decided to put Facebook to good use.

I looked up this person and sent a message.

"Dear Co-Worker" (I used the person's real name)

I happen to come across your profile in Facebook and it caused me to pause. I have always wanted to know why you spread rumors, caused irrepairable damage to key working relationships etc. I had thought you were my friend, but I soon found out that wasn't the case.

I don't expect to hear from you, I just wanted to ask. Because I don't "hint", "hide", or "stab friends in the back" while pretending to like them. I am a fairly blunt person. So, I would like to know why. Straight from the horse's mouth, if you will.

Oh wait...let me rephrase my question to suit your communication style; I miss working with you so much! Let's do lunch next week, okay?

Translation: So, what's the answer?

BFF, > Translation: You suck.

Taryn

p.s. This person hasn't responded. Perhaps when the Ice Age comes to fruition.

More Musings Later-

No comments: